3,2,1, Blast Off!
Purpose: To test what type of pen works best in space.
Materials: two rubber bands sheets of paper
four different pens ( a bic, felt pen, silver pen and a gel pen.)
Hypothesis: We think that the felt pen will last the longest in space because it has the most amount of ink in it. We think the 'Bic' pen will last the shortest amount of time because those pens always run out of ink quickly.
1) Put the sheets of paper on the clipboard and place a rubber band around the paper and clipboard.
2) Lie on your back and with one hand hold the clipboard above you.
3) Have a partner time you. When your partner says go, turn your pen upside down and begin to draw a line across the paper, staying close to the lines on the paper. Draw your line in the same time it takes your partner to count out three seconds.
4) When the timer gets to three, start drawing a line back the other way.
5) Continue making lines every three seconds, or until the ink runs out. Consider the ink has 'run out' when the line is too faint for you to read a word written that way. If the ink doesn't run out when you get to the end of the page, stop. If your arms hurt too much, give them and the pen a rest, then you or your partner can teset the pen again.
6) Repeat steps 1 to 5 for each pen and use a new page for each pen.
7) For each pen, count the number of entire lines it drew (forget about the partial lines). Record the results and take a picture of the experiment.
Felt Pen 1 hour 30 minutes 9312 tallies
Silver Pen 12 minutes 970 tallies
Gel Pen 43 seconds 169 tallies
Bic Pen 10 minutes 270 tallies
The astronauts found this experiment hard for 2 reasons. Their hands got sore from writing upside down for over an hour and a half. They were also tired from counting all of the tallies (over two thousand). This was completed later in the afternoon and the astronauts were tired, sore and hungry. We find that the results do not make sense and are probably incorrect. For example, the results for the BIC pen and the Silver pen are inconsistent (the number of tallies are a lot different despite being close in the amount of time). The silver pen should have lasted the longest because it is actually a space pen that is designed to work in zero gravity (ie. being upside down). The felt pen lasted a lot longer than the space pen, which was unexpected.